Tuesday 2 February 2016

Genre



We choose....
The genre that our group has decided to focus on is Horror on both the Main film and the Continuity film, only because (personally) we love the adrenaline and the fear that is created when you're watching this type of film. But to be honest, I feel I've underestimated the making of a Horror film because I've learnt that it is quite difficult to create, because you have to have specific things that make it scary.

'What makes a Horror Movie scary?'
Looking at this list of 'top ten things that make horror movies scary', I can relate to so many of these effects having watched various Horror films. I honestly wouldn't be able to pick a specific effect because they are all key to create a Horror film, but if I had to choose, I think 'fear of the unusual' would create a scary horror film for me. Things like dolls and clowns and deformed figures and shapes would come under the category of things that would frighten me because of how unorthodox and bizarre they are.

Another Genre
If I had to choose another genre to use for my film, then I would have liked it to be Comedy, only because I watch a lot of comedy's and comedic films. However after having researched into Comedy and using it as a genre, I have realised that making it can be quite difficult because (in my opinion), just like horror there are specific aspects that make a Comedy funny. Having a good story line can affect the way in which a character behaves and the judgement the audience has on them. I think using well known comedians or funny actors/actresses can make people more interested to see it. This can be beneficial towards the advertisement of the film because people are more likely to see it if they see somebody who are known to be funny. I think it is also useful for actors/actresses who are starting out or who aren't very well known.


Sound
I think sound is very important in a Horror film only because (in my opinion) this can make the film more scary and create more tension, especially if you're watching it on your own. I think certain non-diegetic sound can create quite a tense and upsetting effect, because if you choose the right music to match the actions, a mood and atmosphere can be created and usually in a Horror you'd expect it to be quite tense and frightening. However I find that not using music can be used as a lead up to something quite jumpy and unexpected which I really think we're going to consider using in our Main Film. 


No comments:

Post a Comment